Tuesday, June 27, 2017

#50. Test your knowledge of the Korean internet slang!

This is the fiftieth post on the Korean internet slang! It's been an amazing ride. The daily readership increased from just a couple of people to hundreds of people (the most popular post has nearly four thousand views!) and I wouldn't have continued this blog if it weren't for the encouragement of you, the readers. So, thank you for reaching out to me via email and via the comments, thank you for your encouraging comments on Reddit, and most of all, thank you for visiting my blog! As a first-time blogger, just the fact that you're clicking on my blog means the world to me.

As you know, Koreans are big on anniversaries. If you're dating, the first anniversary that you celebrate (not counting birthdays or holidays) is 백일, or one hundred days. Although I'm not quite there yet, as a celebration of my fiftieth post, here are some fill-in-the-blank questions, based on my previous posts. See if your knowledge of the Korean internet slang has improved! (First, the questions. Then I'll give the translations of the questions, followed by the answers.)

#1.
A: 아마존에 사는 사람이 누구게?
B: 몰라. 누군데?
A: 아마... 존? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
B: 야! 니가 아저씨야? ______ 그만하고 좀 제대로 웃겨봐!

a) 궁예질
b) 막장
c) 아재개그
d) 왕따

#2.
A: 엄마가 9시까지 집에 들어오라고 했는데 벌써 11시가 넘었네.
B: ㅋㅋㅋ 너 엄마한테 _________.

a) 맞을 각이다.
b) 궁서체다.
c) 역주행한다.
d) 낚시한다.

#3.
A: 나 군대에 있을때 시험보는것마다 1등해서 대령까지 진급하고 전역했다.
B: 야 이 ______, 거짓말도 적당히 해라.

a) 사골아
b) 급식충아,
c) 단풍국아,
d) 용자야,

#4.
A: 소미는 또 수학시험 백점이라면서?
B: 난 아무리 공부를 해도 80점을 넘겨본적이 없는데 ㅠㅠ
A: 나도 그래. 소미는 진짜 _______인듯.

a) 의자왕
b) 죽빵
c) 어그로
d) 넘사벽

#5.
A: 혹시 "모래시계"라는 드라마 본적 있어요?
B: 아뇨, 아직 안봤어요. 사실 이번 주말에 _____ 하려고 했어요.

a) 사이다
b) 이불킥
c) 정주행
d) 도배



#1. The dialogue translates as:
A: Who is the person who lives in Amazon?
B: I have no idea. Who?
A: Maybe... John? ("Ama" is pronounced "아마" in Korean, and it means "maybe"; "zon" sounds the same in Korean as "John" since Z and J don't get distinguished.)
B: Ugh. You're not old enough to be an 아저씨 yet. Stop making ______ and work on your humour!

#2. The dialogue translates as:
A: Mom told me to be back by 9pm, and it's alread past 11pm.
B: lol. Your mom is going to _______.

#3. The dialogue translates as:
A: When I was doing my military service, I aced every test, so I was promoted to colonel by the time I left the army.
B: You _____. At least make your lies realistic.

#4. The dialogue translates as:
A: I heard that Somi scored another 100% on her math test.
B: Even though I study really hard every time, I've never gotten above 80% :(
A: Me too. To us, Somi is really _______.

#5. The dialogue translates as:
A: Have you ever seen the drama called "Sandglass"? (It is one of the most popular Korean dramas to date, which aired in 1995. When it aired, it is said that 65% of the Koreans watched this drama, according to the polls.)
B: No, I have never watched it. But I was planning to _______ this weekend.


Answers:
1: c
2: a
3: b
4: d
5: c

2 comments:

  1. YAA really glad viewership is increasing!! Always enjoy reading your blog, and I realized from this post that I learned more than I thought! Happy 반백 blog anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sticking with my blog for so long! :) Hope to see you around in the future as well!

      Delete